Before schemes,ensure feasibility: Lokayukta to Go
New Delhi: Delhi Lokayukta has recommended to the Lt Governor to ensure that announcement of any soaps or welfare scheme by Delhi government or civic agencies should be preceded by thorough evaluation of their feasibility, workability and implementation within a specified timeframe.
The recommendation to Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna came in a case of unauthorised construction in a house owned by a close relative of a former MCD councillor in Trilokpuri area of West Delhi.
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin dismissed the case against former MCD councillor Anjana Pracha as the house in question, built on a plot of land given under DDA`s Jhuggi Jhopri removal scheme, is likely to benefit from a policy being framed by Delhi government.
Holding that MCD was free to revive punitive proceedings against the former councillor, Justice Sarin, in the order took a dig at the government and the civic bodies saying it has become almost usual for those in power to hold out soaps and assurances, particularly to the weaker section for "electoral gains" without examining feasibility of their implementation.
Giving example of Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojana and regularisation of unauthorised colonies, the Lokayukta observed that "very often these (announcements) remain unfulfilled assurances."
The Lokayukta recommended to the Lt Governor that to ensure thorough evaluation of "feasibility, workability and implementation of schemes should be studied before their announcement to the public or to the press by the government.
"Further, in case the scheme is dependent or contingent on approval by the central government as in the instant case, then the said fact should be highlighted equally so that citizens fully understand and comprehend the limitation or conditional nature of the scheme," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Tamil Nadu Budget 2016-17: All you need to know
- Need mix of fiscal, monetary policies to deal with Brexit: FM Jaitley
- Rio Olympics 2016: CAS rejects Russia appeal, bars athletes from mega event
- This manatee is interested in paddleboarding – Watch video!
- Oscar Pistorius: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for tainted Paralympian