BJP begins `Bijli Andolan` against power tariff hike in Delhi
New Delhi: Slamming the decision of Delhi`s power regulator to increase power tariff by up to 8 per cent, BJP on Saturday launched a `bijli agitation`, demanding immediate roll back of the hike.
Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel also attacked the AAP government on the issue and asked Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal why the tariff was hiked when his party had promised a reduction of 50 per cent in the rates for all consumers.
"AAP had promised a reduction of 50 per cent in power tariff for all consumers, but instead of reduction, Delhiites got the new year `gift` of 8 per cent rise in power tariff from this government. Why did the tariff increase instead of being slashed," he asked.
Goel was speaking after launching BJP`s `Bijli Andolan` at Bhajanpura area to protest the rise in tariff as well as unscheduled power cuts.
Power tariff was hiked by up to eight per cent by the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission yesterday in the form of power purchase adjustment cost surcharge.
"Delhi government has also equity of up to 49 per cent in the discoms. How can it be unaware about the proposed hike in tariff as it is a major shareholder and no major step can be taken without a major shareholder`s consent or knowledge?," Goel said.
The BJP leader also asked why Kejriwal has not yet announced the time frame for the CAG audit of the discoms.
"We will take out protest marches, hold dharna and demonstrations in every part of the city as consumers are being be-fooled by Congress backed AAP government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!