BJP stages protest demanding removal of PWD minister
New Delhi: The BJP on Friday staged a protest
demanding immmediate compliance of city Lokayukta`s
recommendation for removal of PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chouhan
from Delhi Cabinet for trying to protect a leading resort in a
tax evasion case.
"The Minister must be removed from the Delhi Cabinet as
the Lokayukta has recommended his sacking. It seems Chief
Minister Sheila Dikshit is in search of excuses to save him",
senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said addressing the
Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin had on Thursday
recommended sacking of Chauhan from Delhi Cabinet for trying
to protect a leading resort in a tax evasion case.
In the order, Sarin recommended to the President of
India to "withdraw her pleasure" for the Minister to continue
in office as he "misused" his official position.
Justice Sarin`s order had come in a case pertaining to
Chauhan`s alleged involvement in influencing a team of tax
officials when they were carrying out a survey at the premises
of the resort in South Delhi in February last year.
Terming the order as "unprecedented", Delhi BJP chief
Vijender Gupta said "perhaps this is for the first time a
Minister has been found guilty of obstructing Government
He also slammed the Delhi police for yesterday`s
lathicharge on BJP workers during a protest march against
alleged corruption in Delhi Government. The issue was also
raised by Naidu in the Rajya Sabha.
"More than 100 of our workers were injured in the
lathicharge", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state