BJP stages protest demanding removal of PWD minister
New Delhi: The BJP on Friday staged a protest
demanding immmediate compliance of city Lokayukta`s
recommendation for removal of PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chouhan
from Delhi Cabinet for trying to protect a leading resort in a
tax evasion case.
"The Minister must be removed from the Delhi Cabinet as
the Lokayukta has recommended his sacking. It seems Chief
Minister Sheila Dikshit is in search of excuses to save him",
senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said addressing the
Delhi Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin had on Thursday
recommended sacking of Chauhan from Delhi Cabinet for trying
to protect a leading resort in a tax evasion case.
In the order, Sarin recommended to the President of
India to "withdraw her pleasure" for the Minister to continue
in office as he "misused" his official position.
Justice Sarin`s order had come in a case pertaining to
Chauhan`s alleged involvement in influencing a team of tax
officials when they were carrying out a survey at the premises
of the resort in South Delhi in February last year.
Terming the order as "unprecedented", Delhi BJP chief
Vijender Gupta said "perhaps this is for the first time a
Minister has been found guilty of obstructing Government
He also slammed the Delhi police for yesterday`s
lathicharge on BJP workers during a protest march against
alleged corruption in Delhi Government. The issue was also
raised by Naidu in the Rajya Sabha.
"More than 100 of our workers were injured in the
lathicharge", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal