BJP wants Prez, PM to name December 18 as Lokpal Diwas
New Delhi: BJP Legislative Party leader Harsh Vardhan on Thursday requested the President and the Prime Minister to announce December 18 as the `Lokpal Diwas` to mark the day of passing of Lokpal Bill in the Parliament.
Expressing his happiness over the passing of the Bill in the Parliament after waiting for about 45 years, Vardhan said some leaders tried to put a hindrance in its passing but BJP stood strongly in its favour and contributed to its passage.
He attributed the credit of passage of the Bill to anti-graft activist Anna Hazare`s nine-day-long fast unto death and commitment of top party leaders.
Vardhan said prevention of corruption was more important than punishing the corrupt.
"Following the principle of `prevention is better than cure` for eradicating corruption it is necessary that the Government should take its decisions in a transparent manner and be accountable," he said.
Vardhan said that corruption may not be wiped out completely from the country by appointing only a Lokpal, and corrupt people were in panic the Bill`s passage.
"After the appointment of Lokpal, corruption may get curbed to a great extent," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan