BJP wants Prez, PM to name December 18 as Lokpal Diwas
New Delhi: BJP Legislative Party leader Harsh Vardhan on Thursday requested the President and the Prime Minister to announce December 18 as the `Lokpal Diwas` to mark the day of passing of Lokpal Bill in the Parliament.
Expressing his happiness over the passing of the Bill in the Parliament after waiting for about 45 years, Vardhan said some leaders tried to put a hindrance in its passing but BJP stood strongly in its favour and contributed to its passage.
He attributed the credit of passage of the Bill to anti-graft activist Anna Hazare`s nine-day-long fast unto death and commitment of top party leaders.
Vardhan said prevention of corruption was more important than punishing the corrupt.
"Following the principle of `prevention is better than cure` for eradicating corruption it is necessary that the Government should take its decisions in a transparent manner and be accountable," he said.
Vardhan said that corruption may not be wiped out completely from the country by appointing only a Lokpal, and corrupt people were in panic the Bill`s passage.
"After the appointment of Lokpal, corruption may get curbed to a great extent," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- STOP THIS SHAME! Minor gangraped in Delhi's Jamia Nagar; suspect is juvenile
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT