BJP wants Prez, PM to name December 18 as Lokpal Diwas
New Delhi: BJP Legislative Party leader Harsh Vardhan on Thursday requested the President and the Prime Minister to announce December 18 as the `Lokpal Diwas` to mark the day of passing of Lokpal Bill in the Parliament.
Expressing his happiness over the passing of the Bill in the Parliament after waiting for about 45 years, Vardhan said some leaders tried to put a hindrance in its passing but BJP stood strongly in its favour and contributed to its passage.
He attributed the credit of passage of the Bill to anti-graft activist Anna Hazare`s nine-day-long fast unto death and commitment of top party leaders.
Vardhan said prevention of corruption was more important than punishing the corrupt.
"Following the principle of `prevention is better than cure` for eradicating corruption it is necessary that the Government should take its decisions in a transparent manner and be accountable," he said.
Vardhan said that corruption may not be wiped out completely from the country by appointing only a Lokpal, and corrupt people were in panic the Bill`s passage.
"After the appointment of Lokpal, corruption may get curbed to a great extent," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Bharti Airtel Q1 profit dips 31% to Rs 1,462 crore
- Popularity of ghazals increasing, says Rekha Bhardwaj
- Lok Sabha passes Bill to check benami transactions
- Activist Trupti Desai beats up man with slipper in public for refusing to marry – Watch viral video
- Two BSP MLAs accuse Mayawati of selling tickets for crores