Black bucks` death: Court issues notice to MCD
New Delhi: More than seven months after over two dozen black bucks at Delhi`s National Zoological Park died after drinking contaminated water mixed with back-flowing storm water, the Delhi High Court Friday issued a notice to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna, taking suo motu cognisance of the news published in an English daily here, issued the notice, to be replied by June 1, on apprehension that the animals would face a similar fate this monsoon.
"The MCD has not even started the work for laying a storm water drain that would connect the zoo`s outlets to the existing drain running from under a railway line to the zoo`s eastern edge and emptying into the Yamuna," said the bench while issuing notice.
The black bucks - protected animals figuring in schedule I of the Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972 - had died in September 2010 from drinking water contaminated by overflowing faulty sewage mixed with back-flowing storm water, which failed to drain out into the Yamuna as the channel was blocked.
The Delhi Jal Board (DJB) was supposed to fix the problem of sewage water overflows while the MCD had then said it would refurbish the channel leading to the Yamuna before next monsoon. Zoo officials said the DJB had completed its work but the MCD has not yet started anything.
The MCD plans to lay a storm water drain, which would run from Sunder Nagar railway culvert and then have an outfall at the Ring Road, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate