Bringing Sugarcane (Control) Order not anti farmer: Cong
New Delhi: With the party facing opposition
over the Centre`s Ordinance on uniform pricing for sugarcane,
Congress today accused political parties of misinterpreting
the issue and said it was not anti farmer.
"There is no binding on farmers to sell sugarcane at any
fixed price. This is totally wrong. Different political
parties are misinterpreting the ordinance in their own ways.
"It is not anti farmer and has been brought after
consideration," senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh told
reporters here after holding a meeting of Uttar Pradesh
Congress leaders at the AICC headquarters on the issue.
Singh, who is also the AICC in-charge for Uttar Pradesh
said Congress is fighting and will continue to fight for
getting farmers good price for their crops.
Accusing the Mayawati government in UP of "doing
politics" over the issue and he said while farmers are getting
Rs 165 rupees per quintal for sugarcane in the state, they are
being given Rs 185 rupees per quintal in Congress-ruled
Singh said Congress is not opposing the ordinance and is
ready to go to any extent to fight for the farmers.
He said the Act in fact has a provision for an agreement
on pricing between the factory owners and farmers keeping in
mind the economic viability of the factory concerned and there
is no question of any condition on farmers to sell their crop
at cheaper rates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing