Bringing Sugarcane (Control) Order not anti farmer: Cong
New Delhi: With the party facing opposition
over the Centre`s Ordinance on uniform pricing for sugarcane,
Congress today accused political parties of misinterpreting
the issue and said it was not anti farmer.
"There is no binding on farmers to sell sugarcane at any
fixed price. This is totally wrong. Different political
parties are misinterpreting the ordinance in their own ways.
"It is not anti farmer and has been brought after
consideration," senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh told
reporters here after holding a meeting of Uttar Pradesh
Congress leaders at the AICC headquarters on the issue.
Singh, who is also the AICC in-charge for Uttar Pradesh
said Congress is fighting and will continue to fight for
getting farmers good price for their crops.
Accusing the Mayawati government in UP of "doing
politics" over the issue and he said while farmers are getting
Rs 165 rupees per quintal for sugarcane in the state, they are
being given Rs 185 rupees per quintal in Congress-ruled
Singh said Congress is not opposing the ordinance and is
ready to go to any extent to fight for the farmers.
He said the Act in fact has a provision for an agreement
on pricing between the factory owners and farmers keeping in
mind the economic viability of the factory concerned and there
is no question of any condition on farmers to sell their crop
at cheaper rates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Do you know where is Katrina Kaif's paradise? Watch video
- READ: What Suresh Raina said after Gujarat Lions' dream IPL run ended in Qualifier 2
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic.in 10th Results 2016 CBSE Board: CBSE Class 10th X Exam Result 2016 to be announced today on May 28 at 2 PM
- 10th X Results 2016 CBSE Board: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in 10th X class exam result 2016 CBSE Board to be announced soon
- Track your lost Android phone in these steps; remotely lock or erase data