BSP leader shot dead, assailants caught on CCTV camera
New Delhi: A politician belonging to the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) was killed at his farmhouse here on Tuesday morning by two unidentified gunmen.
Deepak Bharadwaj was shot dead after he had a tiff with the two men, who had entered his farmhouse in the Vasant Kunj area of South Delhi.
The two men, who were in a black Skoda car, shot Bharadwaj after a heated argument at the latter’s farmhouse `Nitish Kunj` at around 9:15 am.
Meanwhile, the CCTV footage of the shooting accessed by Zee News shows the attackers leaving the farmhouse in their car. In the footage one of the assailants is clearly seen brandishing a gun at the guards. Subsequently, they open the gate of the farmhouse and leave, with the guards unable to stop them.
Two others also suffered injuries in the incident.
"As they were talking, the two men took out firearms and opened fire at Bharadwaj. They then fled from the scene. The motive and the trigger for the firing is not immediately known. We are investigating the matter," a police official said.
Police believe that the two attackers were known to Bharadwaj as they were allowed inside the farmhouse by his security guards.
62-year-old Bharadwaj, who had contested the 2009 Lok Sabha elections on a BSP ticket and was one of the richest candidates at that time with assets worth around Rs 600 crores, was rushed to Army`s Research and Referral Hospital near Dhaula Kuan where he succumbed to injuries nearby Fortis Hospital.
Bharadwaj was also into education, hotel and real estate business.
The incident came just months after liquor baron Ponty Chadha was also killed in a shootout at his farmhouse in South Delhi. Chadha was also close to BSP chief Mayawati.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!