Buyer of a used car bound to get it registered on its name: HC
New Delhi: Buyer of a second hand car is
bound to get it registered in his or her name and the blame
cannot be shifted to the dealer for non-registration.
Justice Kailash Gambhir said a dealer dealing in
second-hand car is not duty-bound to get the car registered on
behalf of new owner of the vehicle.
The court passed the order on an appeal filed by a
company, Pragati Paper Mill Ltd, which had purchased a second
The company had approached the court seeking recovery Rs
15,65,999 from the dealer, British Motor Car Company Ltd, on
the ground that it suffered loss because of non-transfer of
registration of the Opel Astra car in its name.
The company had purchased the car from the dealer on a
discounted price of Rs.7.5 lakhs. The car was registered in
the name of one Rewa.
It contended that the the obligation of getting the
ownership of the car transferred in its name was that of the
Brushing aside the contention of the company, the court
said "the transferor (dealer) is not in the picture in the
present case and therefore it was the sole responsibility
of the buyer to have reported the transfer of the said vehicle
within the mandatory period of 30 days."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says