Cash awards for 5 for helping avert air disaster
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit on Tuesday announced cash award of Rs 50,000 each to five
school students who helped avert a possible air disaster by
informing authorities about flames coming out of a New
York-bound Air India plane nine days back.
Dikshit after meeting the group at her office said the
youths had helped save over 350 lives and in recognition of
their "swift action" the government will honour them with cash
awards. The students will be felicitated during the
Independence Day celebration on August 15.
The youths -- Kartik Bhandari, Jaideep Gosai, Himansu
Soni, Manan Soni and Moulik Jhelani -- who were partying on
the terrace of a house in Saket, spotted sparks and flame from
the engine of Air India`s Boeing 777 (Long Range) plane and
immediately informed police about it.
Their swift action followed by the urgent response of
the police led the air traffic control (ATC) to clear the
runway for the New York-bound Air India plane to return to
base and land safely under emergency conditions on July 16.
Air India officials had said the pilots had noticed
the flames soon after take-off and had already sought
permission for an emergency landing from the ATC.
They said the boys could have noticed the plane when
it was returning to land. The flight had 339 passengers and 16
crew members on board.
These youth are very bright and agile because of their
swift action an accident could be avoided. We are proud to
have such youngsters, said Dikshit.
Dikshit also appreciated the urgent response of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway