Cash awards for 5 for helping avert air disaster
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit on Tuesday announced cash award of Rs 50,000 each to five
school students who helped avert a possible air disaster by
informing authorities about flames coming out of a New
York-bound Air India plane nine days back.
Dikshit after meeting the group at her office said the
youths had helped save over 350 lives and in recognition of
their "swift action" the government will honour them with cash
awards. The students will be felicitated during the
Independence Day celebration on August 15.
The youths -- Kartik Bhandari, Jaideep Gosai, Himansu
Soni, Manan Soni and Moulik Jhelani -- who were partying on
the terrace of a house in Saket, spotted sparks and flame from
the engine of Air India`s Boeing 777 (Long Range) plane and
immediately informed police about it.
Their swift action followed by the urgent response of
the police led the air traffic control (ATC) to clear the
runway for the New York-bound Air India plane to return to
base and land safely under emergency conditions on July 16.
Air India officials had said the pilots had noticed
the flames soon after take-off and had already sought
permission for an emergency landing from the ATC.
They said the boys could have noticed the plane when
it was returning to land. The flight had 339 passengers and 16
crew members on board.
These youth are very bright and agile because of their
swift action an accident could be avoided. We are proud to
have such youngsters, said Dikshit.
Dikshit also appreciated the urgent response of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees