Civic polls: 904 nominations rejected; 2,638 still in fray
New Delhi: Dreams of over 900 people to
contest in Delhi municipal polls were dashed on Thursday after the
State Election Commission rejected their nominations for want
of proper documents.
Of a total of 3,542 nominations filed, the Commission
found 904 cases where papers were not in order and rejected
them, leaving 2,638 candidates in the fray for the April 15
However, the number of contestants is likely to come down
as some candidates may withdraw from the race by March 31, the
last date for withdrawal of nominations.
The least number of candidates in poll fray is in Rohini
(Central) ward from where Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta`s
wife Shobha is contesting.
The ward will witness a direct fight between Shobha
Vijender and Congress` Monica Puri.
The highest number of candidates is in women reserved
seat of Okhla where 28 people are fighting followed by 25 each
in Mukundpur, Pratap Vihar, Zakir Nagar and Jaitpur (W).
There are 11 wards where the number of candidates are
more than 20, while the number of seats where the candidates
are five or less than five are 42.
The highest number of rejection of nominations were from
Inderpuri ward where 12 papers were rejected out of 18. In 40
wards, not a single nomination was rejected.
Among the wards which has the highest candidates with
zero rejection rate was Jaitpur (Women), which has 25
candidates fighting for the poll. In Khajoori Khas, none of
the 19 nominations were rejected.
Sangam Vihar had the highest number of 33 nominations
received, but 11 were rejected during scrutiny.
Okhla and Sunder Nagri have 31 nominations each. In
Okhla, three nominations were rejected while the number for
Sunder Nagri was seven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued