Civic polls: 904 nominations rejected; 2,638 still in fray
New Delhi: Dreams of over 900 people to
contest in Delhi municipal polls were dashed on Thursday after the
State Election Commission rejected their nominations for want
of proper documents.
Of a total of 3,542 nominations filed, the Commission
found 904 cases where papers were not in order and rejected
them, leaving 2,638 candidates in the fray for the April 15
However, the number of contestants is likely to come down
as some candidates may withdraw from the race by March 31, the
last date for withdrawal of nominations.
The least number of candidates in poll fray is in Rohini
(Central) ward from where Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta`s
wife Shobha is contesting.
The ward will witness a direct fight between Shobha
Vijender and Congress` Monica Puri.
The highest number of candidates is in women reserved
seat of Okhla where 28 people are fighting followed by 25 each
in Mukundpur, Pratap Vihar, Zakir Nagar and Jaitpur (W).
There are 11 wards where the number of candidates are
more than 20, while the number of seats where the candidates
are five or less than five are 42.
The highest number of rejection of nominations were from
Inderpuri ward where 12 papers were rejected out of 18. In 40
wards, not a single nomination was rejected.
Among the wards which has the highest candidates with
zero rejection rate was Jaitpur (Women), which has 25
candidates fighting for the poll. In Khajoori Khas, none of
the 19 nominations were rejected.
Sangam Vihar had the highest number of 33 nominations
received, but 11 were rejected during scrutiny.
Okhla and Sunder Nagri have 31 nominations each. In
Okhla, three nominations were rejected while the number for
Sunder Nagri was seven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly