Cognisance taken of chargesheet against Ghandy
New Delhi: A Delhi court took cognisance on Monday of a fresh chargesheet, filed against top Naxal leader Kobad Ghandy indicting him under the anti-terror law for being a member of banned outfit CPI (Maoist) and trying to set up its base here.
"I hereby take cognisance for the offences punishable under section 20 and 38 of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (for being member of a banned outfit and promoting its activity) against accused Kobad Ghandy," Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav said.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police had filed a fresh charge sheet against 65-year-old Ghandy after a sessions court had in March discharged him from the stringent provisions of the UAPA for want of proper sanction for his prosecution under the anti-terror law.
The court had discharged him, even while holding that "there is sufficient material on record to make out a prima facie case for offences punishable under Section 20 and 38 of the UAPA against accused Kobad Ghandy."
The court had discharged him for want of proper sanction for his prosecution under the special law.
As of today, both Ghandy and co-accused Rajender alias Arvind Joshi stand charged for impersonation, cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy under the Indian Penal Code.
The CMM also directed that Ghandy would be tried jointly with his Joshi and committed the case for trial by a session court.
The court rejected the argument by counsel for Joshi that he cannot be tried with Ghandy as the sessions court has cleary stated that no case under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act is made out against him.
"The role attributed in the charge sheet to accused Rajinder Kumar is so interrelated and interwoven with the role of accused Kobad Ghandy that it forms part of the same transaction," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof