Collapsed foot overbridge near JLN Stadium to be reconstructed
New Delhi: The Delhi government has finally
decided to reconstruct the foot overbridge outside the
Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium which had collapsed just days before
the commencement of the Commonwealth Games last October,
causing a major embarrassment to the country.
"We have decided to reconstruct the foot overbridge, and
the work is likely to begin soon," a top government official
He said the government is not going to spend any extra
money and the contractor will have to bear the cost of
rebuilding the bridge.
The 95-metre-long under-construction foot overbridge
had come crashing down on September 21, injuring 27 people and
causing a major embarrassment to the country in the run-up to
the mega sporting event. The army had later built a temporary
Bailey bridge which was removed after the Games.
The over Rs 5 crore project was contracted to private
firm P and R Infraprojects Ltd by PWD. The company was
blacklisted by the city government after the incident.
The official said the government may go for the same
technology which was used to construct the collapsed FOB and
may also allow British company Macalloy, which supplied parts
for the structure, to participate in the construction of the
"UK-based Macalloy has agreed to supervise the project.
The technology used in the FOB has been used worldwide. The
Macalloy is a renowned firm and they have agreed to supervise
the project," said the official.
An inquiry panel, which probed the collapse of the FOB
in November last year, had blamed the faulty construction
methodology adopted by the contractor and held the public
works department (PWD) responsible for supervisory failure.
The panel had blamed the PWD for "supervisory failures"
while it held P and R Infraprojects Ltd for carrying out the
project in a great hurry.
The panel had also blamed Macalloy for design
constraints of the materials supplied by the firm for the FOB.
Asked whether action would be taken against any PWD
officials who failed to supervise the project as pointed out
by the two-member committee headed by former CPWD director
general HS Dogra, the official said the issue was being
examined at the "highest level".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM