Committed to make Delhi hunger free: Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday said her government was committed to implement the food security scheme in true spirit to make the national capital a "hunger free" city.
"We will implement the food security scheme in true spirit under which 73 lakh people will be provided food grains at a very minimal price," Dikshit said.
The ambitious food security programme was launched in Delhi on August 20 by UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi. "We will make Delhi a hunger free city. We are working hard to implement the food security scheme," Dikshit said.
She was speaking after inaugurating the 18th centre of `Aapki Rasoi`, a community kitchen, at Yusuf Sarai in South Delhi.
Cooked food is distributed to homeless people under the `Aap Ki Rasoi` programme. The programme, which is part of the government`s Bhagidari initiative, was launched in 2008 with an aim to provide nutritious meal to destitute people.
"The quality of food provided under `Aap Ki Rasoi` is monitored regularly," Dikshit said. She also announced that more centres of `Aapki Rasoi` would be opened soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest