Congress slams AAP for politicising rapes in Delhi
New Delhi: The Congress on Wednesday slammed Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) for putting up posters that claim rapes would continue in this city if the Congress was voted to power in the Assembly elections slated for this year-end.
Put up in east Delhi way ahead of the polls, the posters depict Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit as "corrupt" and AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal "honest". The posters say: "If people continue to vote for the corrupt, rapes will keep taking place in Delhi."
The posters have miffed the Congress, which has said that Kejriwal has hit a new low in his desperate attempts to capture attention.
"What do you expect from a man like Kejriwal? He is dishonest and is encashing on such (rape) issues," Congress spokesperson Renuka Choudhary told a news channel.
"People will teach him a lesson and give him a fitting reply when he goes to the polls," she added.
An unperturbed Kejriwal defended the posters and said there was a "fear psychosis" among the people, especially women in Delhi, and Dikshit`s government and police have done nothing to help.
"A woman who is raped in Delhi wants justice, but this government is talking about reforms. What reforms? The rapists are creating a fear psychosis in Delhi`s women and they are talking about reforms," Kejriwal said.
"I am not against reforms but this government does not have the political will to bring reforms," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!