Counting of votes on for JNU students` union polls
New Delhi: Votes are being counted following the Jawaharlal Nehru University Student Union elections and Left-backed AISA was leading the tally.
The results will be announced by Sunday morning.
"AISA is leading with a big margin, it is dominating the tally. However, the results are expected to come out by tomorrow morning," said Arjun Sengupta, SFI secretary in JNU.
An estimated 56 per cent student turnout was recorded at JNUSU polls which took place yesterday.
There are eight candidates fighting for the post of president, five for vice-president, six for general secretary and three for joint secretary in JNUSU.
All India Students Association (AISA), Students Federation of India (SFI) and Democratic Student`s Federation (DSF) are the major contenders but National Students Union of India (NSUI) and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) have also fielded candidates.
Merit-cum-Means Scholarship (MCM) was the common agenda for all the contesting students unions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP