Counting of votes on for JNU students` union polls
New Delhi: Votes are being counted following the Jawaharlal Nehru University Student Union elections and Left-backed AISA was leading the tally.
The results will be announced by Sunday morning.
"AISA is leading with a big margin, it is dominating the tally. However, the results are expected to come out by tomorrow morning," said Arjun Sengupta, SFI secretary in JNU.
An estimated 56 per cent student turnout was recorded at JNUSU polls which took place yesterday.
There are eight candidates fighting for the post of president, five for vice-president, six for general secretary and three for joint secretary in JNUSU.
All India Students Association (AISA), Students Federation of India (SFI) and Democratic Student`s Federation (DSF) are the major contenders but National Students Union of India (NSUI) and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) have also fielded candidates.
Merit-cum-Means Scholarship (MCM) was the common agenda for all the contesting students unions.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi