Court puts on trial three suspected northeast insurgents
New Delhi: A Delhi court has ordered trial
of three Manipuri youths, suspected to be the members of
northeast-based banned insurgent outfit Kanjalipak Communist
Party, for allegedly raising fund for terror activities.
Additional Sessions Judge S S Rathi ordered their trial
while framing charges against them for allegedly committing
offences under the anti-terror law UAPA.
"Prima facie offences punishable under provisions of
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) are made out
against the three accused persons," the judge said.
While framing charges against the trio -- Chongtham
Manglemajao Singh, Nagriyambam Rattan Singh and Naorem
Amumacha Singh -- the court discharged their fourth associate
Chongtham Ibomacha Singh of the charges and ordered his
release from Tihar Jail, where he is lodged along with the
three others since their arrest on January 17, 2009.
Ibomacha is Manglemajao`s younger brother.
The four were arrested by Special Cell sleuths of the
city police from a house in Govindpuri in South Delhi and were
found having, among other incriminating documents, photocopy
of a letter to the Manipur Governor, demanding fund for KCP`s
The letter, purportedly written by KCP general secretary
Manglemajao, demanded fund for the outfit to the tune of five
per cent of the state budget, two per cent of the government
contracts, besides a part of the fund allocated for state
government employees` salaries.
The court noted that the police had recovered a diary
from Manglemajao, who had scripted notings for various media
houses, asking their editors for financial assistance to the
outfit`s fight for Manipur`s "independence".
The court ordered trial of Nagriyambam, Manglemajao`s
brother-in-law, on charges of harbouring militants, as police
had recovered a cell phone belonging to him but used by
Manglemajao to facilitate his terror activities.
The court said although there was no specific evidence
against Nagriyambam that he was an active member of the outfit
and he might have come here for his wife`s treatment but he
was harbouring Manglemajao and gave his mobile phone to him.
The court put Naorem on trial, noting that he was found
in possession of two books -- one on ideologies of various
Manipur insurgent groups and the other on the state`s history
-- besides his fake identity card, forcibly procured from a
The court freed Ibomacha, saying, "Prosecution has not
been able to make out even a prima facie case against him."
The police had recovered Rs 25,000 from Ibomacha and had
said the money was to be used for terror activities of the
group. Ibomacha`s counsel Ghanshyam Sharma, however, had
argued that his client was innocent.
"The meagre sum of Rs 25,000 was brought to financially
assist his (Ibomacha) sister who is a critical patient of
paralysis and is undergoing treatment at AIIMS since 2000,"
Sharma had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in