Court to visit Uphaar before framing charges against Kanth
New Delhi: A judge hearing the criminal case against former senior IPS officer Amod Kanth for his alleged complicity in the 1997 Uphaar cinema fire tragedy on Wednesday said he would visit the place of incident before framing charges against him.
"I want to visit the spot, so that I can understand the seating arrangement (in the cinema hall) allowed by the former IPS officer," Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjay Sharma said without specifying the date for his visit to the theatre where 59 movie-watchers died in a blaze that occurred during the screening of Hindi blockbuster `Border`.
A case was registered against Kanth on the order of the court following an application moved by the Association of Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) accusing him of allowing extra seats in his theatre`s capacity as DCP (Licencing) in the theatre with the knowledge that such a decision would be disastrous during emergency like fire.
AVUT had opposed the clean chit given to the former police officer and contended he should be prosecuted for the serious offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder under section 304 of the IPC entailing maximum sentence of life imprisonment instead of section 304(A) which stipulates lighter punishment of only up to two years jail term for causing death due to negligence.
AVUT also alleged CBI was trying to protect its former officer by giving an opinion that there was no negligence on his part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more