DDA supports DTC millennium bus depot built on Yamuna bank
New Delhi: The Delhi Development Authority
(DDA) on Wednesday told the high court that the world`s largest bus
depot, built on the Yamuna river bank opposite the Millennium
Park was in accordance with the Centre`s Master Plan 2021 for
development of the national capital.
The DDA, in its affidavit to the division bench of Chief
Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna, said the
construction was done "in accordance with the Zonal
developmental plan-O and the Delhi Master Plan 2021."
It said the government of India had constituted Yamuna
River Development Authority under the chairmanship city`s Lt
governor with chief minister as its vice-chairperson to
examine the proposal for building the depot.
The panel had approved the plan to build the depot after
inviting suggestions and objections from various quarters in
DDA filed the affidavit in its reply to a PIL by Vinod
Jain, an environmentalist contending that the bus depot was
constructed temporarily for the Commonwealth Games 2010 after
which it should have been dismantled, leaving the area in its
original form as flood plain.
He also said the construction of the depot near
Nizamuddin Bridge would cause an environmental disaster as the
depot is located on the active flood plain and water
He alleged the authorities have ignored the provisions of
the Masterplan and the Zonal plan by allowing the construction
which would jeopardise the efforts for rejuvenation of the
river Yamuna and its flood plains.
"River Yamuna has been placed in Zone`O` considered as
eco-sensitive. Even the Central Ground water Authority (CGWA)
has identified the entire area as potential aquifer for the
management of ground water resources. Construction of the
depot is not environment regenerating....," the petitioner
said in the PIL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured