Dec 16 gang-rape: HC displeased by absence of defence counsel
New Delhi: Displeased with the continued absence of the advocate representing two of the four death row convicts in the Dec 16 gang-rape case, Delhi High Court on Tuesday said "every attempt is being made to protract the matter" and warned it will appoint an amicus curiae in his place if he fails to appear before it tomorrow.
"There is no representation from the side of the accused Mukesh and Pawan though in our earlier order we had apprised the counsel about the matter being set for hearing today.
"We find that every attempt is being made to protract the matter," said a bench of Justices Reva Khetrapal and Pratibha Rani.
Both Mukesh and Pawan are being represented by advocate ML Sharma.
While Sharma was today absent from court citing an engagement in Supreme Court none of his associates turned up to inform the court about the same.
Earlier as well he has been warned by high court for missing a hearing.
The court is hearing the final arguments on a day-to-day basis on the trial court`s reference to it for confirmation of the death sentences awarded to the four convicts Mukesh, Pawan Kumar Gupta, Vinay and Akshay.
"We grant last opportunity (to Sharma) to advance arguments tomorrow failing which we will be constrained to appoint amicus curiae to represent Mukesh and Pawan tomorrow itself," the bench said.
"We may note that we had issued production warrant for production of the convicted persons who were brought to court and were informed that in case their counsel defaults on appearance, we will appoint amicus. We may also note that no objection was raised by the convicted persons to this," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Air India to fly unconfirmed first AC passengers of Rajdhani
- Vijay Mallya to be declared PO if he doesn't turn up by July 27
- 7th CPC: Who else is going to benefit from central govt employees' pay hike?
- Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Google Maps introduces HD satellite imagery from Landsat 8 – Enjoy the view!