Dec 16 gang-rape: HC displeased by absence of defence counsel
New Delhi: Displeased with the continued absence of the advocate representing two of the four death row convicts in the Dec 16 gang-rape case, Delhi High Court on Tuesday said "every attempt is being made to protract the matter" and warned it will appoint an amicus curiae in his place if he fails to appear before it tomorrow.
"There is no representation from the side of the accused Mukesh and Pawan though in our earlier order we had apprised the counsel about the matter being set for hearing today.
"We find that every attempt is being made to protract the matter," said a bench of Justices Reva Khetrapal and Pratibha Rani.
Both Mukesh and Pawan are being represented by advocate ML Sharma.
While Sharma was today absent from court citing an engagement in Supreme Court none of his associates turned up to inform the court about the same.
Earlier as well he has been warned by high court for missing a hearing.
The court is hearing the final arguments on a day-to-day basis on the trial court`s reference to it for confirmation of the death sentences awarded to the four convicts Mukesh, Pawan Kumar Gupta, Vinay and Akshay.
"We grant last opportunity (to Sharma) to advance arguments tomorrow failing which we will be constrained to appoint amicus curiae to represent Mukesh and Pawan tomorrow itself," the bench said.
"We may note that we had issued production warrant for production of the convicted persons who were brought to court and were informed that in case their counsel defaults on appearance, we will appoint amicus. We may also note that no objection was raised by the convicted persons to this," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!