Decontamination of New Delhi`s radioactive hotspots underway
New Delhi: Experts have started the process of decontaminating radiation hotspots in New Delhi.
Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) and the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) officials visited the scrap market in the Mayapuri locality of West Delhi, following reports that radiation exposure was still high in the area.
Greenpeace has said that its investigation found that Mayapuri was unsafe despite AERB declaring otherwise.
"On the May 14 we conducted a survey and identified six hotspots where two were found with a radiation level 5,000 times higher than the average level of background radiation," said Karuna Raina, a nuclear activist from Greenpeace.
The first radiation leak was reported last month, but the process of decontamination could take months, an AERB official said.
Improper disposal of sensitive nuclear waste by the Delhi University came into focus after a worker dealing in scrap in a local market died of radiation exposure to Cobalt-60 last month.
The radioactive metal found its way to the scrap market from a Gamma Irradiator at a laboratory of the university`s Chemistry Department, bought in 1968 from Canada.
It is reported that these scrap dealers dismantled the item and in the process, the lead covering on it got peeled off, leading to radiation exposure.
Cobalt-60 is a radioactive isotope of cobalt that is hard, lustrous, grey metal. It is used in cancer therapy and assorted other medical treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday