Defamation case: Court puts Medha Patkar on trial
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday paved the way
for the trial of Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) activist Medha
Patkar by framing charges againt her in a defamation case
filed by an NGO chief in 2001 following a news report on an
Metropolitan Magistrate Munish Markan framed charges
against Patkar under section 500 of IPC (defamation) which
entails a maximum punishment of two years jail.
The court passed the order on a defamation suit filed by
V K Saxena, President of Ahmedabad-based NGO, National Council
for Civil Liberties, alleging a news report based on NBA`s
press release was published on a website claiming he had
donated Rs 40,000 to NBA through another NGO.
Patkar and Saxena have been locked in criminal cases of
defamation against each other since 2000 after she filed a
suit against him for advertisements published against her and
She had filed a defamation suit for publishing an article
`true face of Medha Patkar and her NBA` in 2000 in which the
court has already framed charges against Saxena earlier.
During today`s hearing, advocate V K Ohri, appearing for
Patkar, alleged Saxena was an "agent of Gujarat government", a
charge refuted by Saxena who, in turn, alleged Patkar was an
"agent of foreign elements".
Ohri argued if there was anything defamatory in the news
report, the website, which had carried it, should be
prosecuted and not Patkar. He further said it was not verified
whether the person mentioned in the news report was the same V
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened