Delhi BJP protests against power tariff hike
New Delhi: Criticising the Delhi government for its failure to check power tariff hike, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday protested against the hike in the national capital.
Staging a protest at Bhajanpura, BJP Delhi unit chief Vijay Goel said Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has failed to check power tariff hikes.
"Kejriwal-led AAP had promised that after forming the government, they will reduce power price. Instead power tariff has increased by six to eight percent," said Goel.
BSES Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL) increased its tariff by eight percent, BSES Rajdhani Power Limited (BRPL) by six percent and Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (TPDDL) by seven percent after getting the go ahead from the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission.
The National Thermal Power Corporation has threatened to stop power supply to BSES Yamuna if the Reliance Infra-backed company does not pay its dues. The company said this would lead to 10-hour daily power cuts.
BYPL told the Delhi government that it was unable to clear the dues of power generation companies due to a precarious cash flow situation.
Goel said that the government must resolve the issue with the power discoms in such a way that auditing must go on and people must not suffer from power related problems.
Condemning the six-eight percent power tariff hike, Kejriwal Friday said the power companies should have waited for the audit reports of the firms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video