Delhi gang-rape: Accused can attend hearing on May 31, court told
New Delhi: One of the accused in the December 16 gangrape case, Vinay, needs intravenous antibiotics for three to five days and can attend judicial proceedings tentatively on May 31, a special court was on Tuesday informed.
Vinay`s comprehensive medical report was submitted before the court by the hospital authorities which said, "So far the patient (Vinay) has responded well to the medical management. His hemoglobin, blood counts and other tests done are within normal limits, and is likely to be discharged from the hospital in one or two days."
"However, he needs intravenous antibiotics for another three to five days, since he was not taking the prescribed medicines orally after his discharge from Lok Nayak hospital on May 22."
The report also said, "He can attend the court proceedings tentatively on May 31 subject to his stable condition on that day."
Pursuant to this, Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna posted the matter for next hearing on May 31.
"In these circumstances, it would be appropriate if the matter is listed on May 31 for further proceedings on prosecution evidence.
"Production warrant be issued for production of accused Vinay but be executed subject to advise of doctors," the court said.
Due to Vinay`s absence, the court is unable to record the statement of last prosecution witness, a lady investigating officer.
Her statement is crucial to the prosecution`s case as she had initially probed the case and had arrested the accused.
19-year-old Vinay was first admitted to DDU hospital on May 4. His medical report was filed as the court had yesterday asked the medical superintendent of the hospital for it saying that the trial in the case is getting delayed due to his absence.
The court had asked Lok Nayak Hospital to inform it when accused Vinay would be in a position to appear before it so that the statement of the last witness could be recorded.
Vinay was shifted from DDU Hospital to Lok Nayak Hospital on May 14 with complaints of high fever and a history of alcohol, drug and substance abuse.
After medical care and blood transfusion, Vinay was discharged from the hospital on May 22 but he did not take medicines orally while in Tihar jail, the medical report said.
Following this, he was again referred to Lok Nayak Hospital and is currently admitted there. Besides Vinay, three others -- Akshya Thakur, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh -- are facing trial for allegedly gangraping and assaulting a 23-year-old paramedic student in a moving bus here. A juvenile accused in the case is facing separate trial before a Juvenile Justice Board.
Accused Ram Singh, the driver of the bus, was found dead in Tihar jail in March and the proceedings against him stand abated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof