Delhi gang-rape protest: `Cop died of injuries, had no heart problem`
New Delhi: The grieving family of Subhash Chand Tomar holds protesters responsible for the death of the Delhi police constable who on Tuesday succumbed to injuries sustained in violence during protests against the gang-rape of a woman.
"My father died because of the chaos during the protests at India Gate. Protesters pushed him, they trampled him. He had internal injuries. The claims that he did not receive injuries are false," Tomar`s son Aditya said.
Doubts are being raised about the cause of the death of the constable during the protests.
Meanwhile, Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh said the protests by students were peaceful, but some elements became violent which resulted in the constable`s death.
The Delhi police have claimed that Tomar was beaten up by protesters at India Gate during the anti-rape protests.
However, an eyewitness has claimed that Tomar was not beaten up by protesters, but just collapsed while walking.
Also, Dr PS Sidhu at Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital has told a news agency that the constable had no major external injury marks when he was brought to the hospital. The constable is reported to have no fracture either.
Tomar`s family claimed that the policeman did not have a history of heart problems. "Tomar was attacked by protesters. He did not suffer from any heart-related problems," Tomar`s relative Naveen Chaudhary said.
The 47-year-old constable died early Tuesday due to respiratory and cardiovascular problems sparked off by Sunday`s attack on him on a road leading to India Gate during protests against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman on December 16 night in a moving bus in South Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot