Delhi gang-rape: Sushma Swaraj calls for all-party meet
New Delhi: As protests against the gang-rape incident turned violent, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Sunday called for an all-party meeting and made an appeal to youths not to resort to violence, saying this is not the solution.
Swaraj said she had spoken to Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde in the evening on the need for convening the meeting to "resolve the situation."
"Please do not resort to violence. That is not the solution. It is our country. This is our problem. We will definitely find a solution," Swaraj posted on microblogging site Twitter.
"My young friends: We appreciate your feelings. Your anger is genuine. But please give us some time," she posted.
The Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha also suggested that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit should undertake night patrols of the city and visit police stations.
"When I took over as the Chief Minister of Delhi, the law and order situation was very bad. I promised people `Main raat ko jagoongi taki Delhi wale chain se so saken`.
I used to patrol the city and Police stations whole night. The newspaper headlines changed. Delhi CM should do precisely this," she said. Swaraj was Delhi Chief Minister between October 13 and December three in 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29