Delhi gang-rape: Witness examination process to be over by May
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Monday said the process of examining the witnesses and presenting prosecution evidence in the gory December 16 gang-rape case would be completed by this month.
Police said the defence counsel will present its witnesses next month which will be followed by arguments to help the special court to arrive at the finality of the case that rocked the nation.
The 23-year-old girl was raped and brutally assaulted by six men, including a minor, after beating her male friend on December 16 last year. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
All the six accused were arrested in a week`s time and the charge sheet was filed in a fast track court in the first week of January. The main accused Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in Tihar jail in March.
While four accused, who are above 18 years of age, are facing trial in a regular court, the minor is facing trial in a Juvenile Court.
The case had evoked outrage in the country with violent protests breaking out in the capital and the government had later set up a committee led by former Chief Justice of India JS Verma to frame laws to tackle sexual offences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui