Delhi given time to frame witness protection policy
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Monday granted four more weeks to the city government to comply with its earlier direction to frame a policy to protect witnesses from intimidation by accused in criminal cases.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice B.D. Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru told the government to expedite the process after its standing counsel Pawan Sharma mentioned before it that more time was needed to implement the policy.
Sharma told the court that the process of implementing the policy was in process and four more weeks were required.
The court would now hear the matter Aug 8.
Observing that witnesses were "bulwarks" in a criminal case, another bench of the court May 22 directed the government to frame within 10 weeks the witness protection policy.
The bench`s direction came while pronouncing the verdict where it directed prosecution of Bollywood actor Shayan Munshi and a ballistic expert for turning hostile in model Jessica Lall`s murder case in 1999.
The court also referred the matter to the chief justice to treat the matter as a public interest litigation and set up a special bench to monitor the witness protection programme of the city government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video