Delhi HC asks Kejriwal to reply to Congress MP`s defamation plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought a response from former Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on a plea of a Congress MP seeking damages of Rs one crore from the AAP leader on the grounds that he has been defamed.
"Issue notice to respondent. Original documents pertaining to the suit be filed within four weeks," Justice A K Pathak said and fixed the petition of Faridabad MP Avtar Singh Bhadana for hearing on May 6.
The court, however, refused to pass any interim order on the petition of the lawmaker saying "people are winning elections even from jail. Common public is not so bothered about all this."
Bhadana, in his defamation lawsuit, has sought the damages of Rs 1 crore from Kejriwal on the ground that the former Chief Minister had tarnished his image by branding him as "corrupt".
The Congress MP has contended in his petition that Kejriwal on January 31 this year in a public statement termed him as one of the "most corrupt persons in India".
"The defendant (Kejriwal) who himself is an elected representative of Delhi has chosen to name him (Bhadana) on January 31, 2014 as one of most corrupt persons of India in his public statement causing serious damage to plaintiff`s reputation among his electorates, peers and supporters throughout India with a view to take electoral advantage in the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections in 2014," it said.
The petition also stated, "this is sad and unfortunate that, instead of giving constructive criticism, defendant is making false and baseless allegations against respected leaders of various political parties and business houses and business institutions."
Bhadana has contended in his plea that despite sending a legal notice to Kejriwal, the AAP leader has not withdrawn his comments nor apologised for the same.
The petition has also sought a permanent injunction against Kejriwal restraining him from making any allegations against the Congress MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister