Delhi HC seeks report on rescue operations of girls
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday directed the city government to apprise it of the operations carried out to rescue those girls engaged in flesh trade.
"We seek information as to the number of rescue operations carried out between January 2012 till date," a bench of acting Chief Justice BD Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru said.
The order of the court came on a petition which was filed after the court suo motu took cognizance of a newspaper article about the failure of the Delhi Police to register an FIR on the charge of gang-rape after a teenage girl from West Bengal was rescued from a brothel in May.
The court today asked the Delhi Police to file a status report in four weeks informing it if an FIR has been registered in the case against the accused and whether the FIR has resulted in completion of the investigation.
The court had earlier called for a response on the issue from the city government. It today issued court notice to counsel Pawan Sharma to represent the state in the matter.
As per the media report, a 19-year-old girl was rescued on May 9 by the police from a brothel at GB Road and police did not deem it fit to register a gang-rape case. The girl was sent by a local court to Nari Niketan.
The court today also sought to know about the status of the girl who was rescued from the brothel.
At this, the court was told by the amicus curiae Zubeda Begum that the girl is now in the safe custody of his parents in their hometown.
The court was also told that another girl, a native of Nepal who was rescued, is still at Nari Niketan as the identity of her guardians could not be ascertained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in