New Delhi: The 17-year-old boy, who was allegedly driving the Mercedes that knocked dead a 32-year-old marketing executive in north Delhi's Civil Lines area on April 4, is a repeat offender, a senior police officer has said.
"During investigation, we got to know that the teenager is a repeat offender. He was fined for dangerous driving in March as well," Madhur Verma, Deputy Commissioner of Police, (North) said.
A police statement had earlier said: "It was not the first offence of rash and negligent driving by the juvenile. In the past also, he has been found driving rash and had an accident with another vehicle."
The Delhi Police had on Friday arrested the father of the `teen` driver.
"The businessman was arrested today under the charge of abetment leading to culpable homicide not amounting to murder," a senior police official said yesterday.
The incident took place on Monday when victim Sidharth Sharma was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in Civil Lines and the speeding Mercedes hit him.
The car was being driven at a speed of at least 80 km per hour and Sharma was flung several feet into the air by the impact of the crash and landed around 15 metres away from where he stood.
After the incident, a group of youths stepped out of the vehicle and fled the spot, abandoning the car there.
(With PTI inputs)