Delhi: NCP, RLD councillors pledge support for BJP
New Delhi: Two councillors belonging to UPA allies NCP and RLD along with seven independents on Thursday pledged "unconditional" support to BJP in South Delhi Corporation where the saffron party has secured majority.
If the party`s claims are to believed, BJP has crossed the majority mark of 53 in a house of 104 wards but a statement from the party said it was inching towards the majority. BJP had won 44 wards and needed nine seats.
"Shortly, BJP will issue second list of independent councillors extending unconditional support to BJP," the statement said.
One of the six NCP councillors Pushpa Singh (Mehrauli), wife of former Delhi Mayor and Congress leader Satbir Singh, extended her support to BJP while RLD`s Anita Tyagi (Chhattarpur) also broke ranks from her party. Sharad Pawar-led NCP and Ajit Singh-led RLD are allies of Congress-led UPA.
Pushpa Singh and her husband yesterday met Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta though the former termed it as a visit just to congratulate him for the victory.
INLD`s Seema Pandit, one of the three party councillors, have also extended support. Pandit`s husband Vijay had rebelled against BJP for not giving ticket to his wife from the ward where he had won.
The councillors are leaving their parent parties as anti-defection laws are not applicable to civic bodies and they will not be disqualified.
The independent councillors extending "unconditional" support to BJP are Naresh Balyan, Mahender Yadav, Poonam Bhardwaj, Krishan Sehrawat and Anita Tyagi.
Delhi BJP leaders VK Malhotra and Subhash Arya had contacted independents seeking their support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened