Delhi: NCP, RLD councillors pledge support for BJP
New Delhi: Two councillors belonging to UPA allies NCP and RLD along with seven independents on Thursday pledged "unconditional" support to BJP in South Delhi Corporation where the saffron party has secured majority.
If the party`s claims are to believed, BJP has crossed the majority mark of 53 in a house of 104 wards but a statement from the party said it was inching towards the majority. BJP had won 44 wards and needed nine seats.
"Shortly, BJP will issue second list of independent councillors extending unconditional support to BJP," the statement said.
One of the six NCP councillors Pushpa Singh (Mehrauli), wife of former Delhi Mayor and Congress leader Satbir Singh, extended her support to BJP while RLD`s Anita Tyagi (Chhattarpur) also broke ranks from her party. Sharad Pawar-led NCP and Ajit Singh-led RLD are allies of Congress-led UPA.
Pushpa Singh and her husband yesterday met Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta though the former termed it as a visit just to congratulate him for the victory.
INLD`s Seema Pandit, one of the three party councillors, have also extended support. Pandit`s husband Vijay had rebelled against BJP for not giving ticket to his wife from the ward where he had won.
The councillors are leaving their parent parties as anti-defection laws are not applicable to civic bodies and they will not be disqualified.
The independent councillors extending "unconditional" support to BJP are Naresh Balyan, Mahender Yadav, Poonam Bhardwaj, Krishan Sehrawat and Anita Tyagi.
Delhi BJP leaders VK Malhotra and Subhash Arya had contacted independents seeking their support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune