Delhi: NCP, RLD councillors pledge support for BJP
New Delhi: Two councillors belonging to UPA allies NCP and RLD along with seven independents on Thursday pledged "unconditional" support to BJP in South Delhi Corporation where the saffron party has secured majority.
If the party`s claims are to believed, BJP has crossed the majority mark of 53 in a house of 104 wards but a statement from the party said it was inching towards the majority. BJP had won 44 wards and needed nine seats.
"Shortly, BJP will issue second list of independent councillors extending unconditional support to BJP," the statement said.
One of the six NCP councillors Pushpa Singh (Mehrauli), wife of former Delhi Mayor and Congress leader Satbir Singh, extended her support to BJP while RLD`s Anita Tyagi (Chhattarpur) also broke ranks from her party. Sharad Pawar-led NCP and Ajit Singh-led RLD are allies of Congress-led UPA.
Pushpa Singh and her husband yesterday met Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta though the former termed it as a visit just to congratulate him for the victory.
INLD`s Seema Pandit, one of the three party councillors, have also extended support. Pandit`s husband Vijay had rebelled against BJP for not giving ticket to his wife from the ward where he had won.
The councillors are leaving their parent parties as anti-defection laws are not applicable to civic bodies and they will not be disqualified.
The independent councillors extending "unconditional" support to BJP are Naresh Balyan, Mahender Yadav, Poonam Bhardwaj, Krishan Sehrawat and Anita Tyagi.
Delhi BJP leaders VK Malhotra and Subhash Arya had contacted independents seeking their support.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference