Delhi on alert after Batla House verdict
New Delhi: The national capital was put on a high alert Thursday as a court gave its verdict in the 2008 Batla House shootout in which an Indian Mujahideen operative was convicted for killing a Delhi Police inspector.
Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said, "We are on a high alert and this will carry on at least till the Independence Day. We have enough manpower. We are on the highest level of alert."
Replying to a question over the genuineness of the shootout in Batla House neighbourhood in south Delhi, the city police chief said the National Human Rights Commission conducted an inquiry on the court`s direction and found the shootout to be genuine.
"Indeed, it`s a very unique and independent operation. It is a matter of great pride for the Delhi Police after the court confirmed that the Batla House encounter was not fake," said Neeraj Kumar.
"We learn a lesson from every encounter," he said.
Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri convicted IM terror group`s operative Shahzad Ahmad for killing Inspector M.C. Sharma and fixed July 29 for arguments on sentencing.
Ahmad, from Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh, was said to be present in a flat in Batla House when the shootout took place.
The Sep 19, 2008, exchange of fire took place between a seven-member Delhi Police Special Cell team, led by Sharma, and suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorists, who were allegedly involved in the Sep 13, 2008, serial blasts in Delhi that killed 26 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31