Delhi polls: Congress clears over 50 names
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi-led Central Election Committee of the party met Saturday and cleared the names of 52 candidates for the Dec 4 Delhi polls.
However, the party which was supposed to release the list Saturday held it back. It might be announced after Monday.
The committee deferred the decision on the remaining 18 candidates, referring them back to the party`s screening committee.
Delhi has a 70-member assembly.
Sources said most of the sitting legislators are likely to get tickets. However, those who have criminal charges against them might find it difficult to make the cut.
The Congress Monday had decided on 31 names but deferred the same on 12 candidates, including two ministers, of the 43 sitting legislators in the assembly, party sources said.
The party Nov 28 decided to postpone a decision on the 12 MLAs as serious charges were made against some of them; a decision on some of the others was put in abeyance over performance-related issues.
Around 1,600 applicants are in the fray for tickets, with the final call to be taken by the Central Election Committee.
Dikshit and state party chief JP Agarwal had held parleys over the past week between the sitting legislators and those opposing their re-nomination.
The main opposition, Bharatiya Janata Party, has announced the names of 58 candidates for the polls and left four seats to its ally, Akali Dal (Badal). The Aam Aadmi Party has declared over 60 names.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant