Depressed over rape charges, NGO executive commits suicide
New Delhi: A 55-year-old executive director of an NGO committed suicide by jumping off a building here after becoming depressed when a girl accused him of rape, police said on Wednesday.
Khurshid Anwar, who ran a non-governmental organisation, was found in a pool of blood outside his residential building in Vasant Kunj area in south Delhi. He lived alone on the second floor.
A labourer working in an under-construction building told police that he saw Anwar falling from the building.
He told his neighbours and they took Anwar to a hospital where doctors declared him dead.
Police said a three-page note was found in his diary, where Anwar said he was being targeted by the girl, a member of another NGO.
He also said he was upset with the allegation.
"I am upset about the way the girl is campaigning against me without any fault of mine, and maligning my 30 years of career and reputation," a police officer quoted the note as saying.
A former Jawaharlal Nehru University scholar, Anwar was living in the house for the past several years.
Police said a case of rape was registered against him on Tuesday, after a complaint from the girl.
In her complaint, the girl said she attended a party on September 12 with nine members of Anwar`s NGO.
During the party, she got drunk and started vomiting. Anwar and the others advised her to stay at Anwar`s flat. She agreed and went to sleep.
The next morning when she woke up, she found out she was sexually assaulted but kept silent as she feared her identity would be revealed. A few days later, the girl filed a complaint before the National Commission for Women, which forwarded it to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured