Depressed over rape charges, NGO executive commits suicide
New Delhi: A 55-year-old executive director of an NGO committed suicide by jumping off a building here after becoming depressed when a girl accused him of rape, police said on Wednesday.
Khurshid Anwar, who ran a non-governmental organisation, was found in a pool of blood outside his residential building in Vasant Kunj area in south Delhi. He lived alone on the second floor.
A labourer working in an under-construction building told police that he saw Anwar falling from the building.
He told his neighbours and they took Anwar to a hospital where doctors declared him dead.
Police said a three-page note was found in his diary, where Anwar said he was being targeted by the girl, a member of another NGO.
He also said he was upset with the allegation.
"I am upset about the way the girl is campaigning against me without any fault of mine, and maligning my 30 years of career and reputation," a police officer quoted the note as saying.
A former Jawaharlal Nehru University scholar, Anwar was living in the house for the past several years.
Police said a case of rape was registered against him on Tuesday, after a complaint from the girl.
In her complaint, the girl said she attended a party on September 12 with nine members of Anwar`s NGO.
During the party, she got drunk and started vomiting. Anwar and the others advised her to stay at Anwar`s flat. She agreed and went to sleep.
The next morning when she woke up, she found out she was sexually assaulted but kept silent as she feared her identity would be revealed. A few days later, the girl filed a complaint before the National Commission for Women, which forwarded it to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year