DERC report exposes govt `connivance` with discoms: BJP
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Friday alleged that
power regulator DERC`s latest report on the tariff issue
"exposed" government`s "connivance" with power distribution
companies to "increase the burden" on common man.
In its report to government yesterday, the regulator had
said that three private power discoms were earning an
additional profit of Rs 300 crore monthly due to government`s
decision to hold back revised tariff prepared by it.
"DERC`s letter to the Government exposed the loot by the
private power companies in connivance with the government,"
Delhi BJP chief Vijendra Gupta told reporters.
The DERC in its report also indicated that it was
planning a cut down in tariff as discoms will get power from
several of the under construction power generation plants in
Delhi at much lower the market rate within months` time.
Exercising a special power under Delhi Electricity Act,
the city government had on May 4 -- a day before the scheduled
announcement of the tariff order -- had directed DERC not to
announce it till the regulator got the go-ahead from the state
The government had also asked DERC to file a detailed
report on the issue taking into consideration the demand of
the discoms for a hike in tariff.
The DERC, which was making last minute preparations to
announce the new tariff, after receiving the government
directive had indicated that it had planned to cut down the
tariff by 20 to 25 per cent as discoms would have a surplus of
around Rs 4,000 crore if the existing tariff was not tinkered
City BJP had launched a agitation earlier this week
demanding announcement of the tariff order as suggested by the
"Due to criminal negligence of the Congress government
the Commission has not been able announce the new tariff,"
BJP workers today staged a demonstration outside DERC
office demanding early announcement of the new tariff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers