DERC report exposes govt `connivance` with discoms: BJP
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Friday alleged that
power regulator DERC`s latest report on the tariff issue
"exposed" government`s "connivance" with power distribution
companies to "increase the burden" on common man.
In its report to government yesterday, the regulator had
said that three private power discoms were earning an
additional profit of Rs 300 crore monthly due to government`s
decision to hold back revised tariff prepared by it.
"DERC`s letter to the Government exposed the loot by the
private power companies in connivance with the government,"
Delhi BJP chief Vijendra Gupta told reporters.
The DERC in its report also indicated that it was
planning a cut down in tariff as discoms will get power from
several of the under construction power generation plants in
Delhi at much lower the market rate within months` time.
Exercising a special power under Delhi Electricity Act,
the city government had on May 4 -- a day before the scheduled
announcement of the tariff order -- had directed DERC not to
announce it till the regulator got the go-ahead from the state
The government had also asked DERC to file a detailed
report on the issue taking into consideration the demand of
the discoms for a hike in tariff.
The DERC, which was making last minute preparations to
announce the new tariff, after receiving the government
directive had indicated that it had planned to cut down the
tariff by 20 to 25 per cent as discoms would have a surplus of
around Rs 4,000 crore if the existing tariff was not tinkered
City BJP had launched a agitation earlier this week
demanding announcement of the tariff order as suggested by the
"Due to criminal negligence of the Congress government
the Commission has not been able announce the new tariff,"
BJP workers today staged a demonstration outside DERC
office demanding early announcement of the new tariff.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way