Detained couple commit suicide in police post
Ghaziabad: A couple, who had eloped from their native Bulandshahr district, have allegedly committed suicide inside Vardhamanpuram police post here after being detained for questioning.
A probe into the incident has been ordered by the Superintendent of Police, and four personnel posted at the post were placed under suspension.
Kanta (32) and Rukkan Singh (38) were picked up last evening from Morta village.
Kanta had eloped with Singh on May 6 from Jahangirabad area of Bulandshahr and both were staying in a rented room here under Muradnagar Police Station area, he said.
When Kanta`s husband, Ravi, came to know about their whereabouts, he lodged a complain at Vardhamanpuram police station following which they were brought to the police post.
Soon after they were brought into the post they consumed Sulphas tablets and fainted, said SP.
They were rushed to a hospital in a critical condition where they died.
Constables Iqbal Haider Zaidi, Lokesh Kumar and Sureshchandra Panwar and station in-charge Vinod Kumar Upadhyaya were suspended with immediate effect, the city SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured