Detained couple commit suicide in police post
Ghaziabad: A couple, who had eloped from their native Bulandshahr district, have allegedly committed suicide inside Vardhamanpuram police post here after being detained for questioning.
A probe into the incident has been ordered by the Superintendent of Police, and four personnel posted at the post were placed under suspension.
Kanta (32) and Rukkan Singh (38) were picked up last evening from Morta village.
Kanta had eloped with Singh on May 6 from Jahangirabad area of Bulandshahr and both were staying in a rented room here under Muradnagar Police Station area, he said.
When Kanta`s husband, Ravi, came to know about their whereabouts, he lodged a complain at Vardhamanpuram police station following which they were brought to the police post.
Soon after they were brought into the post they consumed Sulphas tablets and fainted, said SP.
They were rushed to a hospital in a critical condition where they died.
Constables Iqbal Haider Zaidi, Lokesh Kumar and Sureshchandra Panwar and station in-charge Vinod Kumar Upadhyaya were suspended with immediate effect, the city SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city