Detained couple commit suicide in police post
Ghaziabad: A couple, who had eloped from their native Bulandshahr district, have allegedly committed suicide inside Vardhamanpuram police post here after being detained for questioning.
A probe into the incident has been ordered by the Superintendent of Police, and four personnel posted at the post were placed under suspension.
Kanta (32) and Rukkan Singh (38) were picked up last evening from Morta village.
Kanta had eloped with Singh on May 6 from Jahangirabad area of Bulandshahr and both were staying in a rented room here under Muradnagar Police Station area, he said.
When Kanta`s husband, Ravi, came to know about their whereabouts, he lodged a complain at Vardhamanpuram police station following which they were brought to the police post.
Soon after they were brought into the post they consumed Sulphas tablets and fainted, said SP.
They were rushed to a hospital in a critical condition where they died.
Constables Iqbal Haider Zaidi, Lokesh Kumar and Sureshchandra Panwar and station in-charge Vinod Kumar Upadhyaya were suspended with immediate effect, the city SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Seoul, Washington kick off joint annual war game
- Myanmar denies clashes between Indian army, ethnic group
- Black money: Govt to ban cash transactions of above Rs 3 lakh
- Must see pics! Incredible images of lava from Hawaii’s volcano cascading into the ocean (Photo feature)
- A month on, search continues for missing IAF aircraft AN-32