DMRC rejects Reliance offer to quit Airport Metro
New Delhi: Delhi Metro on Saturday said it has rejected an offer by Reliance Infrastructure to quit the showcase Airport Metro Express citing financial non-viability and asserted that the corridor would soon be thrown open to public after due repairs are completed.
Delhi Metro Managing Director Mangu Singh admitted that Reliance Infrastructure-led Delhi Airport Metro Express Private Limited (DAMEPL) had sent a notice for terminating the Concession Agreement signed between the two, thereby exiting the corridor.
"They (DAMEPL) sent the notice. But, we have rejected," Singh told reporters here.
"Repairs are almost complete. The Line will undergo a safety inspection and then will be opened," he said.
DAMEPL has been struggling to run the line ever since the operations were launched in February 2011 and operations were suspended on July 8 after defects were found on civil structure.
Since then, the DMRC and DAMEPL have been at loggerheads over the corridor and a letter war between the two seems to have culminated with a communication from DAMEPL in early October that they want to terminate the Concession Agreement.
However, Delhi Metro rejected the offer and based on a suggestion from DAMEPL the issues will now head for arbitration.
It is learnt that the DAMEPL raised several issues regarding the financial non-viability of the country`s first Public-Private Partnership Metro project with the Delhi Metro and even sought for some restructuring of the model under which the corridor was being run.
DAMEPL refused to comment on the termination notice issue.
A spokesperson merely said: "The repair work executed by DMRC is nearing completion. We will recommence the operations of Airport Metro line soon after getting the necessary safety clearances. DAMEPL, as the Concessionaire will run the line."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert