DUSU polls: ABVP wins three top posts, NSUI one
New Delhi: BJP student`s wing ABVP Saturday gave a jolt to Congress` NSUI in the Delhi University Students
Union elections winning three out of the four top posts,
including that of the president.
Jitender Choudhary of (MA, Buddhist Studies) won the
post of chairman while Priya Dabas won the post of vice
Neetu Dabas was elected the new secretary while Akshay
Kumar of NSUI was elected joint secretary.
Jitender defeated Harish Choudhary, a student of SGBT
Khalsa College, who is NSUI`s candidate, by a margin of 1,943
votes. Jitender polled the maximum number of 9,259 votes in
AISF`s Aparajitha, daughter of CPI leader D Raja,
polled 2,999 votes.
Dabas, who polled 8,679 votes, came ahead of NSUI`s AA
Vardhan by 1,518 votes in vice president polls.
Neetu Dabas won by the highest margin of 4,495 votes
in the polls defeating Deepika Derhwal of NSUI for the post
of DUSU secretary.
Akshay Kumar was the saving grace for the NSUI who won
a tight poll with a margin of 581 votes. Kumar polled 6,831
A total of 11 candidates contested for the post of
DUSU president in the election, while 30 other candidates were
vying for the three posts of vice president, secretary and
With strict norm of election in place in line with the
Lyngdoh Committee recommendations for polls for students
union, the election campaign was without fervour this time.
Add to it the fact that as many as seven candidates
were disqualified last year for violating election norms, the
parties and candidates in fray were extra cautious this time.
Posters, printed material and stickers were not
allowed this time, as also the code of conduct enforced a
strict ban on using vehicles or animals for campaigning or
Last year, an independent candidate had won the post
of DUSU president after a gap of 18 years following the
disqualification of the NSUI and ABVP candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department