DUSU polls: ABVP wins three top posts, NSUI one
New Delhi: BJP student`s wing ABVP Saturday gave a jolt to Congress` NSUI in the Delhi University Students
Union elections winning three out of the four top posts,
including that of the president.
Jitender Choudhary of (MA, Buddhist Studies) won the
post of chairman while Priya Dabas won the post of vice
Neetu Dabas was elected the new secretary while Akshay
Kumar of NSUI was elected joint secretary.
Jitender defeated Harish Choudhary, a student of SGBT
Khalsa College, who is NSUI`s candidate, by a margin of 1,943
votes. Jitender polled the maximum number of 9,259 votes in
AISF`s Aparajitha, daughter of CPI leader D Raja,
polled 2,999 votes.
Dabas, who polled 8,679 votes, came ahead of NSUI`s AA
Vardhan by 1,518 votes in vice president polls.
Neetu Dabas won by the highest margin of 4,495 votes
in the polls defeating Deepika Derhwal of NSUI for the post
of DUSU secretary.
Akshay Kumar was the saving grace for the NSUI who won
a tight poll with a margin of 581 votes. Kumar polled 6,831
A total of 11 candidates contested for the post of
DUSU president in the election, while 30 other candidates were
vying for the three posts of vice president, secretary and
With strict norm of election in place in line with the
Lyngdoh Committee recommendations for polls for students
union, the election campaign was without fervour this time.
Add to it the fact that as many as seven candidates
were disqualified last year for violating election norms, the
parties and candidates in fray were extra cautious this time.
Posters, printed material and stickers were not
allowed this time, as also the code of conduct enforced a
strict ban on using vehicles or animals for campaigning or
Last year, an independent candidate had won the post
of DUSU president after a gap of 18 years following the
disqualification of the NSUI and ABVP candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says