E-rickshaws not to be barred from plying in Delhi: Gadkari
New Delhi: In a relief to e-rickshaw operators, Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari today announced that the battery-operated rickshaws will not be barred from plying in the national capital and they will be considered as non-motorised vehicles.
Adressing a rally of e-rickshaw owners and drivers at Ramlila Maidan here, Gadkari said that e-rickshaws with motor power till 650W would now be considered as non-motorised vehicles.
"E-rickshaws having motor till 650W will now be regarded as non-motorised vehicles. Now, Transport department and traffic police can not challan them from tomorrow," Gadkari said.
The Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways (MoRTH) had rendered e-rickshaws illegal via a notification issued on April 24.
According to earlier rules, three-wheeler vehicles with motor power less than 250W and speed less than 25kmph were regarded as non-motorised vehicles, but the amendment by recent notification to the Motor Vehicles Act withdrew this exemption.
Gadkari also said that Municipal Corporation of Delhi has to regulise e-rickshaws by registering them with a fee of just Rs 100 and form a policy for their smooth operations.
"Owners of e-rickshaws have to get their vehicles registered with MCD with a fee of just Rs 100. After registering e-rickshaw, MCD will have to give identity cardsto drivers so that they could easily earn their livlihood," Gadkari said.
"Transport department and traffic police officials can not challan e-rickshaws having four persons on board besides driver. Drivers of such vehicle can also ferry luggage up to 50 kg with four persons," he added.
He also said that to buy e-rickshaws, a loan at 3 per cent interest rate will be provided for which, Deen Dayal e-rickshaw scheme will be launched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- WWE Monday Night Raw results (July 25, 2016): Finn Balor earns shot at WWE Universal Title
- Mercedes to have petrol variants across portfolio in India by September
- Opposition alleges use of coercion, threats in RS polls in Jharkhand
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!