Elderly man’s death: Police constable arrested

Delhi Police constable, Vikram Singh was suspended soon after the incident on February 28 night when he allegedly pushed the elderly man.

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: A Delhi Police constable was on Saturday
arrested on charge of culpable homicide not amounting to
murder in connection with the death of an elderly man, whom
he allegedly shoved during an argument.

Vikram Singh, who was inducted into the force in 2008, has
been placed under arrest in connection with the death of 66
-year-old Anil Kumar, a senior police official said.

He was produced before a local court and sent to 14-day judicial custody till March 17.

Reacting to the development, the family of the deceased said they were happy with the probe so far but wondered why it took so long for the police to arrest the accused policeman.

Speaking to Zeenews.com, they said the Delhi Police should come out with fresh guidelines on dealing with senior citizens so that no such incident is repeated in the future.

The family added they were awaiting the result of the magisterial inquiry currently underway.
Singh was suspended soon after the incident on February
28 night when he allegedly pushed the elderly man who
intervened in an argument the constable was having with his

He has been charged under Section 304 of IPC (culpable
homicide not amounting to murder) that is punishable with life
imprisonment or jail term which may extend to ten years.

Kumar`s son had approached Singh for water on the fateful
night near the police station in Dhaula Kuan as his brother`s
car had developed technical problems.

The constable was on phone and did not listen to his
request. The victim`s son Mohit himself then fetched water and
while returning to his car he had an argument with the
constable who took him to the police station alleging that he
misbehaved with the policeman.

Hearing the argument, Kumar came out and tried to speak
to the constable when he allegedly pushed him. Kumar fell down
and fell unconscious.

He was rushed to Safdurjung Hospital where he was
declared brought dead.

Police had registered a case and Crime Branch was asked to
probe the incident.

(With PTI inputs)