Five corporate honchos seek bail in High Court in 2G case
New Delhi: Five corporate honchos on Thursday
objected to their arrest in 2G spectrum allocation case
and told the Delhi High Court that "mere apprehension" of
fleeing and tampering with the evidence was not a "good
enough" ground to "trample" their personal liberty.
"Bail is the rule and jail is exception. The mere
apprehension (of CBI) is not good enough as the ground to
trample personal liberty of the accused," Former Attorney
General Soli J Sorabji, appearing for Gautam Doshi of Reliance
Besides Sorabji, a battery of senior defence lawyers,
Mukul Rohatgi, K T S Tulsi, Ranjit Kumar, Rajeev Nayar, N K
Kaul, assailed the dismissal of the bail plea of the accused
by the special CBI judge saying "he gravely erred in terming
the case as of the highest magnitude as it is the punishment
and not the amount involved that decides the same."
Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd Managing Director
Sanjay Chandra and Group MD of Reliance ADAG Gautam Doshi,
co-promoter of Swan Telecom Vinod Goenka and Reliance ADAG`s
Surender Pipara and Hari Nair, who were not arrested by CBI
during the investigation, were sent to jail yesterday.
Consequently, they had during the day immediately moved
the High Court for grant of bail which listed the matter for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31