Framing of charges against official in Petroleum Ministry
New Delhi: A Delhi court has ordered framing of charges against a senior official in the Ministry of Petroleum for allegedly conniving with dealers in selling adulterated petroleum products, saying there was prima facie evidence that he had abused his official position.
Besides Uday Shankar, Joint Director (Investigation), Anti-adulteration Cell in the Ministry of Petroleum, the court will also frame charges against his associate Sanjeev Kumar and Naveen Jain who was acting as a conduit and businessman S K Gupta.
The court said there was evidence to show that a conspiracy was hatched between the accused to sell adulterated petroleum products for which the officer received illegal gratification of Rs seven lakh.
"It appears that all the accused persons have entered into a criminal conspiracy to do an illegal act.
"The record also reveals that accused Uday being a public servant has demanded illegal gratification in respect of an official act from accused Gupta, or in the alternative, he has demanded and attempted to obtain a sum of Rs seven lakh...," Special CBI Judge Rakesh Syal said while fixing August 9 to frame the charges against them.
CBI alleged Gupta used to deal with naptha, which were being illegally diverted for adulteration of petrol and the officer did not take any action.
The court will formally frame charges for the offences of cheating, criminal conspiracy and corruption against all of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...