Govt seeking `practical` solution on turban issue
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday assured Parliament that it has been regularly taking up with France the sensitive issue of ban on Sikhs wearing turbans in schools and trying to work out a "practical solution" as the law there does not permit display of religion.
"This issue has been raised with the French government regularly, including at the highest level by the Prime Minister in his meeting with the French President on September 30, 2008. I have also discussed this issue in my meeting with the French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe on October 20, 2011 in New Delhi," External Affairs Minister S M Krishna said.
He was replying to a query during Question Hour in the Lok Sabha.
Krishna informed the House that France has clarified that its domestic law bans display of any religion-connected symbols in "public schools only" and is non-discriminatory and applies to people of all religions living in that country.
"Our embassy in Paris is in regular discussions with the French Foreign Ministry and Interior Ministry. It has been clarified to the French side that our intention is to seek a practical solution to address a sensitivity of a minority community of our country," Krishna said.
He insisted that India continues to pursue this matter at various levels with the French government.
However, his reply did not satisfy Harsimrat Kaur (SAD) who had posed the question. She said turban was an "inextricable part" of a Sikh and not just a part of his attire. A Sikh can give up his life on the issue, she said.
Kaur described the French government`s stand on the matter as a "shame" and "tyrannical". She sought to know what progress has been made on the issue since 2008.
However, Krishna maintained that France is a sovereign country and has its own laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users