HC allows Delhi govt to hold polls for Gurudwara
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday
reversed the judgement of its single-judge bench and allowed
the city government to hold polls for the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara
Management Committee (DSGMC).
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and
Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw set aside the order of a
`single-judge bench restraining the Directorate of Gurudwara
Elections (DGE), which is under the city government, from
issuing a notification for elections of the DSGMC.
It asked the government to hold polls at the earliest for
all Gurudwaras in the capital by fixing a fresh schedule.
The court, which had reserved its judgement on February
22, upheld the decision of Lt Governor on the issue.
"The process of delimitation and preparation of fresh
electoral roll is undoubtedly alright and is in the process
and no error can be found in with the decision of the Lt
Governer," the court said.
Earlier, the single judge had directed city government to
complete the exercise of delimitation in 46 wards within a
month and also prepare the electoral rolls with photographs of
voters for the elections before issuing the notification.
DGE challenged the verdict alleging that the single judge
bench had no right to pass such orders once the poll process
was set in motion with the issuance of the notification.
"The work of delimitation and preparation of fresh
electoral rolls if found to be necessary shall be undertaken
immediately and ought to be completed, well in time so that
such a situation does not occur when the next election becomes
due," the bench observed, asking the DGE issue fresh schedule
for the elections for the posts of the DSGMC.
The court said, "It will not interfere with the decision
of the Lt Governor."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened