HC seeks MCD`s reply on idol immersion in Yamuna
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today asked
the MCD to explain as to why it failed to construct special
permanent enclosures on Yamuna bank for immersion of idols and
other items during festivals in compliance with its earlier
While hearing a contempt petition filed by Tapas, an NGO
through its convener Vinod Jain, Justice Vipin Sanghi directed
the civic agency to file an affidavit, explaining the reasons
for delay by May 8.
Appearing for the petitioner, counsel Arvind Shah told
the court that despite this court`s 2006 order and also the
MCD`s undertaking to the court in 2009 for construction of 13
special permanent enclosures, only four temporary enclosures
have been made by the agency so far.
The petitioner alleged that every year, the MCD makes
temporary ghats during the festive season but the condition of
most of them is pathetic.
The petitioner`s lawyer submitted that the civic agency
last year had made four ghats during festival time and later
they were not maintained properly whereas the court had
specified 13 enclosures and said they should be in place to be
used round the year.
The NGO said the government authorities were passing the
buck on each other.
"Last year, in response to an RTI submission, the MCD and
the DDA said that the work did not concern them as it was not
part of the Yamuna Action Plan," according to the petition.
In 2006, the court had directed the MCD to make special
permanent enclosures on a PIL seeking direction to maintain
the river Yamuna clean and pollution free.
In 2009, the agency had given an undertaking to the court
to complete the project by 2011 but the agency failed to
comply with it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Donald Trump has already damaged national security: Madeline Albright
- These bollywood movie makers, superstars have been issued service tax notices by CBEC –Know
- Alert issued in Bihar following heavy rain in catchment areas of Nepal
- WWE SmackDown: July 26, 2016 - Results and highlights
- SHOCKING! Former PM Manmohan Singh's plane nearly crashed in 2007