ILO instrument on workers to be placed in Parl
New Delhi: The Government on Friday approved
placing before Parliament a new instrument adopted by ILO on
domestic workers convention which aims at improving the
working conditions of the domestic workforce.
The approval was given by the Union Cabinet at its meeting
As per statistics, there are about 6.4 million domestic
workers in the country who are mostly illiterate and unskilled
and come from poor and backward areas.
The International Labour Conference of International Labour Organisation (ILO) at its session in Geneva in June
adopted the domestic workers convention supplemented by the
Domestic Workers Recommendation.
The meet adopted a set of international standards aimed at
improving the working conditions of tens of millions of
domestic workers worldwide.
India, a founding member of ILO, had supported the
adoption of the convention and the recommendation. The country
was represented at the conference by Labour and Employment
Minister Mallikarjun Kharge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG