ILO instrument on workers to be placed in Parl
New Delhi: The Government on Friday approved
placing before Parliament a new instrument adopted by ILO on
domestic workers convention which aims at improving the
working conditions of the domestic workforce.
The approval was given by the Union Cabinet at its meeting
As per statistics, there are about 6.4 million domestic
workers in the country who are mostly illiterate and unskilled
and come from poor and backward areas.
The International Labour Conference of International Labour Organisation (ILO) at its session in Geneva in June
adopted the domestic workers convention supplemented by the
Domestic Workers Recommendation.
The meet adopted a set of international standards aimed at
improving the working conditions of tens of millions of
domestic workers worldwide.
India, a founding member of ILO, had supported the
adoption of the convention and the recommendation. The country
was represented at the conference by Labour and Employment
Minister Mallikarjun Kharge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog