New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar were on Tuesday refused bail in connection with the September 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case by a Delhi court which allowed the plea of police seeking 15 days time to complete its probe against them.
The court had yesterday rejected the bail plea of Bhatkal and Akhtar in connection with a September 2008 Delhi serial blasts case.
Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash today dismissed the bail plea of Bhatkal and Akhtar after the Special Cell of Delhi Police said their probe against them was going on and they need 15 days more time to conclude the investigation.
The police filed a plea before the court seeking extension of time to complete its probe saying they were working on the input provided by central intelligence agencies about one of the absconding accused and the investigators have examined several contacts of the "wanted terrorist".
"With the arrest of this wanted terrorist, the missing links in conspiracy are likely to be established which require that period of investigation and judicial custody of these accused persons be extended," it said.
Advocate MS Khan, who appeared for Bhatkal and Akhtar, countered the submissions saying the court had on February 25 already extended the time to complete the probe by 15 days and now the police are again seeking extension.
Khan also argued the application filed by police does not disclose the "progress of investigation done during the extended 15 days period."
The police had told the court that on September 19, 2010, two bikers had fired on tourists at the gate of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi area and two Taiwanese, Ku-Ze-Wei and Ko-chiange, had sustained bullet injuries whereas a bomb was fitted in a car parked in the area.
Bhatkal and Akhtar were arrested by National Investigation Agency (NIA) from Indo-Nepal border on the night of August 28 last year.