Kejriwal assures envoys of security to Africans in Delhi
New Delhi: Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday assured envoys of 30 African countries that his government is taking all steps to ensure that there is no discrimination against citizens of those countries living in Delhi.
Kejriwal, who hosted a reception for ambassadors and high commissioners of African countries here, gave this assurance in a response to concerns raised by some diplomats.
Zimbabwean Ambassador and Dean of the African Diplomatic Core Jonathan Wutawunashe requested him to take robust measures for ensuring that recent incidents are not repeated in the capital.
Nigerian Ambassador Ndubuisi Vitus Amaku, who is also deputy dean of African Diplomatic Core, urged Kejriwal to give a public assurance that there will be no discrimination against citizens from African countries.
The Kejriwal-led government was in the eye of a storm following its Law Minister Somnath Bharti midnight raid to bust an alleged sex and drug racket in a South Delhi locality. Bharti had accused some foreign nationals of being involved in a drug and prostitution racket.
"Delhi is home to citizens from across the world and his government is committed to showcasing the national capital as a city where law-abiding people from different parts of the country and the world live together peacefully," Kejriwal told the ambassadors and high commissioners.
"India and Africa share the mutual desire to expand economic cooperation and trade and investment linkages between them," Kejriwal said referring to the multi-dimensional nature of the relations between India and African countries.
Kejriwal also sought the diplomats` views and suggestions against the backdrop of some incidents in recent days in Delhi.
The reception was attended by the top diplomats from 30 countries and senior bureaucrats of Delhi government.
Ambassador Wutawunashe also wanted the procedures related to Value Added Tax (VAT) be simplified in the national capital, to which the Chief Minister replied the process for that has already been started.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?