Kulkarni, 2 former BJP MPs walk out of Tihar jail
New Delhi: After spending over a month in
Tihar jail, Sudheendra Kulkarni, former aide of BJP leader LK
Advani, and two ex-BJP MPs Mahavir Singh Bhagora and Faggan
Singh Kulaste walked out this evening on bail in the cash-for-votes scam.
"I thank the High Court. We have got independence again.
Our stand has been vindicated," Kulkarni, who was welcomed
with garlands, told reporters outside Tihar.
Looking relaxed, a smiling Kulkarni said, "I salute all
BJP leaders and members who supported us. Our struggle will
continue. The whole truth has not come out as yet. Those who
gave the bribes, who were behind them. The ultimate
beneficiary is the Government, that has to be exposed."
Kulkarni has been accused by the Delhi Police of
masterminding a conspiracy in 2008 which saw three BJP MPs
putting themselves on the market ahead of a trust vote in
Parliament. He was arrested on September 27.
On July 22, 2008, the then three BJP MPs Argal, Kulaste
and Bhagora waved wads of currency notes in the Lok Sabha
hours ahead of the trust vote, alleging they were given the
money to vote in favour of the Manmohan Singh government.
They were allegedly paid Rs.one crore in cash as an
advance for a purported Rs.nine crore deal.
Sanjeev Saxena, former aide to politican Amar Singh, and
Sohail Hindustani, who claims to have served as a BJP youth
activist, were also released from prison today. Argal has got
Amar Singh, also arrested in the case, was granted bail
earlier for medical reasons. He has denied the charges of
having any role in the case.
"The Congress-led UPA government was indeed trying to
purchase MPs and we acted as whistle-blowers", said BJP
spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman, adding that the MPs carried
out the whole operation with the knowledge of a media house.
Defending its MPs of only playing the role of
whistle-blower, Sitharaman said, "No prima facie case is being
made out. There is no intention of giving or taking bribe...
It is clear that they only participated in whistle-blower
operation. There is no conspiracy."
The BJP leader also raised a number of questions on why
only the BJP MPs were targeted and sent to Tihar jail in the
cash-for-vote scam and no action was initiated against others
in the case, including the Congress-led UPA government which
was the real beneficiary of the scam.
While granting bail to them yesterday, the Delhi High
Court had virtually questioned the foundation of the cash-for-
vote scam, saying had they wanted bribe, they would not have
conducted a sting operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'