Life term to rapist who gouged out victim`s eye
New Delhi: The life sentence given to a man,
who gouged out an eye of a private hospital nurse to rape her,
was upheld by the Delhi High Court on Wednesday.
While upholding the punishment awarded to the man for
raping the nurse, a bench of justices Anil Kumar and V K
Shali, however, modified the trial court`s order which had
sentenced the man to life imprisonment also for gouging out
the victim`s eye.
For gouging out the eye, the convict needs to be
sentenced only for inflicting grievous injury to the victim,
said the HC bench, awarding seven years jail term to him for
The order came on an appeal by convict Bhura Singh, held
guilty of raping a nurse of Shanti Mukund Hospital in east
Delhi and gouging out her eye.
The bench set aside Singh`s conviction on the charge of
causing grievous hurt by a dangerous weapon (under Section 326
of Indian Penal Code) and held him guilty of causing grievous
injury (under Section 325 of IPC) while sentencing him with a
concurrent seven-year jail term.
The court also rejected the victim`s plea that Singh
should not be allowed to avail any parole or remission during
his jail term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!